Topic Options
#3838 - 03/17/21 10:44 AM Online Games Packet loss..but My Ping is Good
Sascha Offline

Hey,
my Problem is i get out of 10 games 9 times Packet loss.. but my Ping is always good (20-30ms) in Games.

Pingplotter Result:

https://share.pingplotter.com/2BYnmXybRBR

Internet Speed(Download/Upload) Result:

https://www.speedtest.net/result/11108136078

the First Hop is the Problem i Guess?

i have no clue..

i only use Wire connection on my PC ..in my Homenetwork is also another Pc and a Console.. is that a Problem? (maybe i need more Bandwith? )

Sorry for my English.. i Try my Best..

Thanks in advance

#3839 - 03/17/21 06:47 PM Re: Online Games Packet loss..but My Ping is Good [Re: Sascha]
TJM Offline

Hi Sascha,

Thanks for reaching out!

I took a look over your PingPlotter data and your connection in that data doesn't show anything concerning. When you see red packet loss at intermediate hops it is natural to assume there is an issue however if the packet loss does not carry through to the final hop it is nothing to worry about. You can learn more about why this happens in the following article:

One Poorly Responding Router

Here are a couple other articles on interpretation you may find helpful:

Interpreting PingPlotter Results
Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss

You mention that you are experiencing issues when trying to game. To troubleshoot this I suggest tracing directly to the game server if possible.

In order to find the exact IP address of your game server, you could try this:

1. Close all other applications, leaving only your game running
2. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and use the netstat -b command. Copy/paste the output to a text editor (i.e. notepad)
2. Then, run the command a second time after closing down your game.
3. Cross-reference your results. The address that displays in the first result, but not the second, should be your game server.

Or if you're interested, you could contact your game's support team and ask for the IP of your server. Community forums for the game are also a great place to search for this information.

Once you've nailed down the IP you're connected to, try out a trace! If you don't get a response (100% loss), then you'd just need to adjust your packet type and port number settings accordingly by creating a Named Configuration . NMap is a great tool we use frequently to help find open ports/protocols for servers.

Once you locate the game server I recommend running a trace to both the game server and your router for at least a day to get a large data set to look through.

**Here's a Youtube Video which talks a little more about isolating the problem.**

For more details about interpreting results for gaming, you can check out these articles:

- Interpreting Graphs (Gaming)

- Beat Game Lag

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thanks,
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod