Topic Options
#3770 - 09/30/20 09:50 PM Packet loss and high ping
MoeRon Offline

Hello,

I am with Xfinity on a rented xb6 modem. I have been having issues with our service for months and months now. House has all new coax, modem is hardwired into pc with brand new cat6.
I have attached my screenshots on what I'm dealing with. Let me know what thoughts you guys have.

Comcast.net

Google IPV4

Edited by MoeRon (09/30/20 10:03 PM)

#3772 - 10/01/20 09:34 PM Re: Packet loss and high ping [Re: MoeRon]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi MoeRon,

Thanks for writing into the forum!

After looking at your attached images I'm guessing that the issue likely starts at hop #2, which is Comcast. That said, to be sure I'd suggest also tracing to your router at hop #1 while also tracing to google.com.

Hop #1 is showing 67.7% and 82.3% packet loss. While at first all that red may seem really bad, upon closer examination and understanding what's going on it's not something to worry about after all. All that packet loss usually means the router is configured to down prioritize and drop the timed out ICMP requests that PingPlotter uses to trace the route. It's setup to prioritize other traffic (like your internet browsing or movie streaming) instead. The tricky bit is that it can actually also mask an real issue with your router.

Fortunately it's pretty easy to test this by tracing directly your router. When you trace directly it sends ICMP packets that are not timed out and therefore get prioritized the same as other traffic. When you do this and compare it to your other trace you may see something like this:

Image Link

The 3 hops on the bottom are what you may see on your google trace and the hop on the top is what it may look like at your router. If this is the case you can see that the latency and packet loss starts outside of your network.

Let me know if this leaves you with any questions!

-Poe

#3773 - 10/01/20 10:12 PM Re: Packet loss and high ping [Re: Poe]
MoeRon Offline

Thanks for the reply. I would love to see the photo you posted but the link says “access denied”.

Edited by MoeRon (10/01/20 10:12 PM)

#3775 - 10/04/20 02:25 PM Re: Packet loss and high ping [Re: Poe]
MoeRon Offline

Well we had a engineer/supervisor out on Friday. He said they are upgrading the area and adding fiber to the area. He noticed a definite issue in the area. He is supposed to get back to us with a update on how far along they are.

#3776 - 10/05/20 10:14 PM Re: Packet loss and high ping [Re: MoeRon]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi MoeRon,

Sorry about the image, not sure what happened there. Having an engineer/supervisor out sounds quite promising as they likely have the power to get stuff taken care of.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Thanks,

-Poe

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod