Topic Options
#3756 - 09/04/20 06:08 AM Interprete packet loss with different machines
Pascal Offline

Hello,
important things first:
I used Pingplotter on two machines, one PC and one Notebook. Both are connected to the modem (which has 4 LAN ports) via Lan cable. To track both IPv4 and IPv6 I used www.google.com as target (recommended by ISP Support). I found massive Packet loss (But this is not only to google, but to the whole internet). I'll attach 4 Pingplotter files (PC and Notebook: IPv4 and IPv6 to google.com in every combination)
Now i've got questions:
Most important: Where is the origin of the packet loss/my problem?
-Why does only my laptop trace IPv6 and whats happening at my PC?
-Why does IPv4 has so much packet loss in hop 1 while ipv6 has nothing?
(I'm from germany and the ISP gives each client IPv6 and one IPv4 shared between 10 clients, maybe thats important)
-Which Hop is my modem and where would the next hop be? (I guess 192.168.0.1 is my modem and the next hop goes to the first nod in the network, but is this in the basement of my hous (shared with mutliples apartments) where all internet cables from different apartments are merged together, or is this in the next building with a server?)

Unnecessary stuff but maybe interesting:
Ii've got trouble with my internet connection since I moved to my location in march.
I started to use Pingplotter some weeks ago and I send the results to the ISP. They didn't really look at my data and send a mechanics (after several calls) who couldn't find anything, because the problem didn't occur when he was here. It only occures sometimes, and i couldnt find out any correlation.

Thank you already in advance! I hope you can help me!

Attachments
IPV4_Notebook_www.google.com.pp2 (377 downloads)
IPV4_PC_www.google.com.pp2 (351 downloads)
IPV6_Notebook_www.google.com.pp2 (345 downloads)
IPV6_PC_www.google.de.pp2 (309 downloads)

#3757 - 09/04/20 06:35 PM Re: Interprete packet loss with different machines [Re: Pascal]
TJM Offline

Hi Pascal,

Thanks for reaching out!

You can trace IPv4 and 6 from the same instance of PingPlotter by using ipv4:www.google.com and ipv6:www.google.com so you don't have to use 2 different devices.

From what I can tell in the PP2 files you provided it looks like your problem may originate at the first hop which is your router/modem. You can start by resetting your router to see if that fixes any of the packet loss you are seeing. However, if your router is older than 2-3 years it may be time to look into getting a replacement.

I believe the reason IPv6 comes through more clear is due to the fact that it is not shared. The more devices that are connected to the same thing will clog up a network. You can check to see if IPv6 is enabled on your different machines by:

[*] On the Start screen, type Control Panel.
[*] Press Enter.
[*] Select Network and Internet.
[*] Select Setup a new connection or network.
[*] Select Next.
[*] On the left side of the Network and Sharing Center, select [*] Change Adapter Settings.
[*] Right-click your network connection.
[*] Select Properties.
[*] Scroll to Internet Protocol version 6.
[*] Check the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) box.
[*] Select OK to save your changes for the selected network adapter.

The first hop in the trace is your router and the second hop will be your ISP, you can use Whois to lookup the owner of an IP to figure out what each hop of the route is.

From here I suggest running simultaneous traces to your router and google using IPv6 for 24-48 hours and export that data, then run the same traces using IPv4 for another 24-48. Once you've done that you should be able to see where the problem originates from.

Here are some articles that will help you with interpretation:

Common Network Problems
Interpret Results
Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss

I would also suggest looking into our newest product, PingPlotter Sidekick. This tool was designed for home users and remote workers, and boasts a network troubleshooting suite - straight from their local web browser.

Complete with automatic target selection, guided walkthrough, and automated data collection and sharing functionality, this program gives our customers the information they need to fix their network connectivity; either by themselves, or by sharing evidence with their ISP.

Sidekick is licensed for 28 days and, if you'd like to learn more, you can check it out at: https://pingplotter.com/sidekick

If you need help interpreting your results you can post them here or email them to us directly at support@pingman.com

If you have any questions let me know!

Thanks,
-TJ

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod