Topic Options
#3585 - 02/19/20 01:18 AM Does this confirm the issue is my router? or PC?
Rugby Offline

Please see attached image.

I am experiencing 20-30 disconnects a day, averaging 3-5 seconds for the last month and I have not changed any of my network setup. I have had a very difficult time diagnosing the issue. The disconnects usually happen in clusters, I have had clusters of disconnects during the day when the PC is idle as well as when I am playing video games.

Does this image confirm that the issue is in my LAN? Between my router and my PC?

Could my PC be the issue? or is the router or Ethernet wiring?

Any help is enormously appreciated.

Attachments
GoogleTest.png (90 downloads)

#3586 - 02/19/20 11:55 AM Re: Does this confirm the issue is my router? or PC? [Re: Rugby]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Hi Rugby,

Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry this issue been so difficult to pinpoint, but I'm happy to lend a hand.

I can't say for sure using only a screenshot, but there does seem to be a problem starting at hop#1. If this is true, then there may an issue in one area of your LAN.

To be sure though, I'd love to take a closer look at your data. Please share your results by changing your Focus field to reflect 24 hours (or more), clicking File -> Share -> Create Share Page - then, copy/paste the URL of your share page in your reply.

- PingPlotter Sharing

Here are some recommended steps you can take to help narrow the results and find the culprit:

1. Trace to any sites or services you are having issues with (Netflix, Fortnite server, Zoom.com, etc.)
2. You can also trace to your ISP (generally hop #2 or #3). A "WHOIS" google search on the IP address usually provides results about who the IP address is registered to.
3. Trace to your router (Usually the first hop in the route - 192.168.0.1 or something similar).
4. Trace to your NIC (Network Interface Card). In Windows, run Command Line as administrator and type ipconfig and look for the IPv4 address - this is your NIC IP.
5. Finally, trace to your loopback address (127.0.0.1). This lets you verify that any issues you are seeing are not related to the hardware or IP stack on the machine you're using.
6. Trace to a generic reference address like google.com
7. After 24-48 hrs, in your All Targets Summary tab, double-click each entry to bring up their Timeline Graphs.
8. Scroll through the graph (using the slider at the bottom) and when latency or packet loss occurs, compare the graphs and look for where the issue begins.

Tracing directly to intermediate hops (such as your ISP at hop #2 or #3) is important because some devices can down-prioritize ICMP requests where TTL=0 (forwarding the packet, but dropping the response to PingPlotter). This shows up as packet loss, and if many intermediate devices are doing this, it's difficult to tell if it's TRUE packet loss.

Here are a couple of articles which talk about this in a little more detail:

- Interpreting Latency and Packet Loss
- PingPlotter Ports and Packets

Let me know if this leaves you with any questions!

All the best,

Austin Berner
Software Support Technician | Pingman Tools
support@pingman.com | (208) 345-0030

Edited by AustinB (02/19/20 11:57 AM)

#3587 - 02/19/20 09:07 PM Re: Does this confirm the issue is my router? or PC? [Re: AustinB]
Rugby Offline

Hello Austin,

I am running all these tests you suggested now and I will post results tomorrow.

Thanks so much for the guidance.

#3588 - 02/19/20 09:22 PM Re: Does this confirm the issue is my router? or PC? [Re: AustinB]
Rugby Offline

Austin,

As I set up, I got a string of disconnects right away. attaching data and screenshots right now.

https://share.pingplotter.com/XL8qfeoihjm

Thoughts?

Attachments
all tests.png (139 downloads)
googletest.pp2 (366 downloads)

#3589 - 02/20/20 01:49 PM Re: Does this confirm the issue is my router? or PC? [Re: AustinB]
Rugby Offline

thanks!

Attachments
192.168.100.1.pp2 (355 downloads)

#3590 - 02/20/20 01:53 PM Re: Does this confirm the issue is my router? or PC? [Re: Rugby]
AustinB Offline
Network Support @ Pingman Tools

Thanks for that John, it was great talking to you!

It looked like this issue was starting at the router or maybe the Ethernet wire just before. At this point, troubleshooting the router or trying out a new one is what I'd recommend.

I wish you the best of luck - and feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

-Austin

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod