Topic Options
#3547 - 01/10/20 02:32 AM Hope question
Fady55555 Offline

Hi,
I traced out a game server and I have 12 hops, but my friend (different ISP) have 6 hops to the same server, so my question is: If I subscribed to my friend ISP would I have 6 hops or maybe different, my friend house is about 10 km from my home?

#3548 - 01/10/20 12:20 PM Re: Hope question [Re: Fady55555]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi Faddy55555,

Thanks for your question!

It's hard to know what might change for your hop count if you changed ISPs since you and your friend are geographically in different locations (even though they're only 10 km away). That said, the number of hops doesn't necessarily mean anything about the latency or packet loss of your connection.

To compare your connection with your friend's I'd recommend that both you both use PingPlotter to monitor the IP address of the game server for the same 48 hr period. During that time, make sure to play the game that uses that game server and note the times when you're playing the game and what your experience was (lagging, rubber-banding, etc) if you're having issues. After 48 hrs have your friend send you a pp2 of their trace (File -> Export Sample Set (pp2)) and import it into PingPlotter (File -> Import Data) and pull up their trace and your trace side by side and compare your latency and packet loss results.

This would let you know if it might be worth it to switch ISPs.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help you with!

Thanks,

-Poe

#3551 - 01/11/20 12:32 PM Re: Hope question [Re: Poe]
Fady55555 Offline

Thank you for your reply which is very useful, actually I have done something similar and the problem happen as a result of bad hop of my ISP and I will change my ISP in anyway, so I thought it is good to go with my friend ISP.

#3553 - 01/13/20 12:35 PM Re: Hope question [Re: Fady55555]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi Fady55555,

You're most welcome!

Switching to your friend's ISP sounds like a good way to go if you're not happy with your current ISP.

Let us know if there is anything else that we can help you with!

Thanks,

-Poe

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod