Topic Options
#3478 - 10/06/19 09:42 AM Gray periods in the timeline graph
dfiscus Offline

I need some help understanding the gray periods in the timeline graph. I have read the article at the following URL, but I'm mystified at all the gray periods that keep appearing on the second hop (the ISP's gateway/modem) and ONLY on the second hop. I have seen brief gray periods on other hops occasionally, but not very often. Also, I've tried changing the trace interval and setting the Packet Send Delay, but nothing seems to help. I do not recall ever seeing this problem before the last upgrade to 5.11.5.6618.

https://www.pingman.com/kb/article/gray-periods-in-the-timeline-graph-30.html

Attachments
Pingplotter, 2019100859.PNG (240 downloads)
IQClient2 201910060859.zip (54 downloads)

#3481 - 10/07/19 06:17 PM Re: Gray periods in the timeline graph [Re: dfiscus]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi dfiscus,

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with PingPlotter returning some odds results!

It sounds like you've already covered some ground with reading our Knowledge Base article on this issue and trying the suggestions. It's hard to know what to suggest next without a bit more information.

The next step would be to get a direct support request from you and to start looking at the list of things that can cause this kind of result in the timeline graphs. You can submit a support request by heading to Help -> Email PingPlotter Support in the PingPlotter UI. This will send us some log files and information about your environment which will help us start figuring out what might be causing this issue.

We look forward to seeing a support request from you soon!

Thanks,

-Poe

#3482 - 10/07/19 10:03 PM Re: Gray periods in the timeline graph [Re: Poe]
dfiscus Offline

Poe, Thank you for the response and direction. I just submitted the support request, and while I was preparing it, I noticed Hop #2's IP address was randomly switching from 10.1.10.1 to the same IP as Hop #3 (96.120.42.133) which is apparently the reason for the gray periods I've been seeing. So now my question is, "Why is Hop #2's IP address changing to the IP of Hop #3?" Screen captures of both situations are included for clarification.

Attachments
PingPlotter Gray Periods, 2019102118.PNG (279 downloads)
PingPlotter Gray Periods... IP changing, 2019102130.PNG (193 downloads)

#3483 - 10/08/19 12:27 PM Re: Gray periods in the timeline graph [Re: dfiscus]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi dfiscus,

Thanks for the follow-up!

We would love to dig into this a little deeper as these are indeed some unusual results. Could you possibly send us a copy of your data for this trace?

To send us your data you can either create a Share Page (File -> Share -> Create Share Page) and share the link with us or you can export a Sample Set (pp2) and send it to us. To export a Sample Set you can head to File -> Export Sample Set (pp2) -> All Data and upload it here:

<Link removed>

We look forward to taking a look at your data to hopefully get a better idea of what might be going on here.

Let us know if you run into any issues or have any questions!

Thanks,

-Poe

Edited by Poe (10/08/19 12:28 PM)

#3484 - 10/08/19 02:49 PM Re: Gray periods in the timeline graph [Re: Poe]
dfiscus Offline

Thanks Poe,
I uploaded the PP2 to DropBox.

#3485 - 10/08/19 06:09 PM Re: Gray periods in the timeline graph [Re: dfiscus]
Poe Offline
Pingman Tools Support

Hi dfiscus,

Thanks for uploading that pp2 file so we could take a closer look!

It is indeed some very strange behavior. Without knowing more about how your network is configured it's hard to say for sure but it looks like there may be an issue with your router setup. 10.0.0.1 and 10.1.10.1 are both internal private IP addresses and that's where the weirdness is happening. You are getting the gray lines because PingPlotter isn't expecting anything to be there. When it switches over to the 96.120.42.133 IP then you get a brief instant of graph tracing and then it switches back.

The 96.120.42.133 IP address belongs to Grand Rapids Comcast Cable Communications Llc so that's your ISP. It may be something with how your cable modem is configured. You could do a factory reset on it and see if it solves the issue. If that doesn't help, if you lease the modem, I would encourage you to ask for a replacement unit.

If you have any other questions let us know, we're happy to help!

Thanks,

-Poe

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod