Topic Options
#33 - 09/21/99 01:29 PM Last (few) hosts disappear
DavidLennert Offline

This may be the same problem as the thread "Routing Problem (missing hop data)", I'm not sure.<br><br>After PingPlotter runs for awhile (from 1 to 12 hours) it stops displaying the last (or last few) hosts in the route. A TRACERT command reveals them all. If I stop and restart Ping Plotter, it shows them all fine again.<br><br>It sounds like Ping Plotter gets into a state where either it thinks there are fewer hosts in the route, or the display algorithm just stops displaying the latter host(s).<br><br><br><br>

#34 - 09/27/99 08:52 AM Re: Last (few) hosts disappear [Re: DavidLennert]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
This problem is my top priority for the next major release.<br><br>What's happening is actually that the route changes. When this happens, Ping Plotter shortens the displayed route - but doesn't change the host data that's in that route. If the number of hops is the same as the previous route, then everything *looks* OK still - even though the intermediate hop data is being displayed as the first route. Ping plotter just drops the data into the hop # that the data is coming from - and never checks to make sure the IP/Name of the hop "bin" matches the incoming data.<br><br>The problem you're seeing is when the length of the route changes - and gets shorter. When this happens, the last hop (or several hops) just don't get shown - and it *looks* like you're not getting data from the destination at all. In actuality, you are getting that data - you're just getting it into a mis-labeled hop. So in this case, the last hop in your list is likely the final destination - even if it isn't labeled as such.<br><br>There are some complexities with showing the route changes that make this a difficult problem to solve. I'm making pretty good headway on this and *hope* to have a release that fixes this pretty soon.<br><br>Thanks for the good question.<br><br>Pete<br><br>

#35 - 09/27/99 09:09 AM Re: Last (few) hosts disappear [Re: Pete Ness]
DavidLennert Offline

Thanks for the explanation! I'll look forward to the future release.<br><br>

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod