Topic Options
#3097 - 06/15/17 10:03 AM What is my problem?
Spencer Richman Offline

Loc: Ohio
I am new to Ping Plotter Pro and having trouble understanding my results (see attached file). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. - The issue I'm having is that I am using Remote Desktop to log into our company server remotely, and have very frequent lag and dropped connection.

Attachments
PingPlotterScreenShot.jpg (237 downloads)
96.11.127.142 rrcs-96-11-127-142.central.biz.rr.com.pp2 (455 downloads)

Edited by Spencer Richman (06/15/17 11:11 AM)

#3098 - 06/15/17 01:21 PM Re: What is my problem? [Re: Spencer Richman]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Spencer!

From what we can see in your results (thanks for sending those over, by the way!) - it looks like you've got some packet loss and spikes in latency occurring right at hop #1 that are carrying through the rest of your route to the final destination. This pretty strongly implies that the culprit in your issue is *likely* somewhere between your machine (the one running PingPlotter), and hop #1 (your modem/router).

Your next goal should be to eliminate any variables that you have control over to see if you can isolate what the culprit is. If you're on a wireless connection, moving to a wired connection is a *great* first step. You could also try running PingPlotter on a different network all together (if possible), to see if the issue may be related to your machine (if you see the same results on a different network - this would be a pretty strong indicator). Anytime you're eliminating a variable, make sure to keep PingPlotter running so you can see if you notice any changes in your results (as this can help you identify what may be causing your problem).

We've got a great guide that walks through the process of using PingPlotter to troubleshoot an issue like this one, which may prove helpful to you here:

https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

Hopefully this helps out! If you should find yourself needing any other guidance, please let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3102 - 06/19/17 05:12 PM Re: What is my problem? [Re: Gary]
Spencer Richman Offline

Loc: Ohio
Thanks Gary. I tried your first suggestion - running Ping Plotter on wifi and then running it wired. The results are on the attached file, and also shared online here: https://share.pingplotter.com/ZnTdv7QW5ur

Around 1:00 (roughly) we plugged in the ethernet cable - so the am results are all wifi and the pm results are all wired. Does this tell us anything new?
- Spencer

Attachments
rrcs-96-11-127-142.central.biz.rr.com.pp2 (472 downloads)

#3103 - 06/20/17 04:39 PM Re: What is my problem? [Re: Spencer Richman]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Spencer,

It looks like the pattern of packet loss continues on after you switch from wireless to wired - so you've ruled out your wireless signal from being a culprit in your issue here.

At this point, you'll want to continue isolating and eliminating any variables that you have control over to continue narrowing things down. You might want to try swapping out the cables connecting your modem/router (or swap out the device entirely, if possible).

If you have any other questions - please let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod