Topic Options
#3092 - 06/13/17 03:08 AM What is my problem???
zerg Offline

I'm guessing it is a TWC problem, but I might be wrong.

#3093 - 06/13/17 04:17 PM Re: What is my problem??? [Re: zerg]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Zerg,

Thanks for getting in touch.

It's difficult to speculate on much with the limited information we have available in this screenshot (60 seconds worth of data for hop #3), and no knowledge of the issue you're trying to troubleshoot here. If you'd like - feel free to send over a pp2 file (via the "File" -> "Export Sample Set" option in the program), along with some details of what kind of issues you're trying to get to the bottom of. We'd be more than happy to review this information, and offer any guidance we can!

In the meantime, we've got a great guide available that walks through the steps of using PingPlotter to troubleshoot a network issue - which may prove helpful to you here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

If you have any questions - please let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3094 - 06/14/17 12:16 AM Re: What is my problem??? [Re: Gary]
zerg Offline

I am seeing major ping spikes when playing games.

I also linked a pingplotter file.

Attachments
gmail.com.pp2 (481 downloads)

#3095 - 06/14/17 01:18 PM Re: What is my problem??? [Re: zerg]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Zerg,

Thanks for following up.

Were the results that you've provided here taken during a period where you were playing your game (and experiencing issues)?

If you're trying to get to the bottom of issues you're having with an online game - your best bet would be to set PingPlotter up to trace to the game server you're playing on, and let it run continuously (24/7, if possible) in the background while you play your game. From there, your goal should be to to try and correlate any problems you're experiencing playing your game to any patterns you can identify in your PingPlotter results. When you experience issues in your game, make note of it in PingPlotter (more details on how to do this here: http://www.pingplotter.com/manual/time_line_graphing.html), so you can see if any "problem" patterns are present in your PingPlotter results when you're actually running into problems with your connection to the game. We cover this practice in quite a bit more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/47

If you can start to identify some patterns, your next goal should be to isolate, and eliminate any variables (that you have control over) to see if you can further narrow down the culprit (while continuing to collect data in PingPlotter, so you can see any effects on your results). Moving from a wireless to a wired connection is a *great* start. If you're already on a wired connection, swapping out the cable that's connecting your machine to your modem/router is also a great test. Once you can eliminate a few things as being culprits, it can help focus your troubleshooting efforts. We cover some other tactics on this front in more detail in the guide I referenced in my last message (http://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network).

Hopefully this helps get you headed in the right direction. If you have any questions - please let us know.

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3096 - 06/15/17 05:09 AM Re: What is my problem??? [Re: Gary]
zerg Offline

Here is a test going to a server.

Attachments
c-74-91-113-217.managed-ded.premium-chicago.nfoservers.com.pp2 (350 downloads)

#3099 - 06/15/17 01:31 PM Re: What is my problem??? [Re: zerg]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Zerg,

Was this trace taken during a time that you were experiencing issues playing your game? These results don't *seem* to point to any specific problems (an average latency of 90ms with 0.2% packet loss is pretty decent, overall). This doesn't mean that you're not experiencing issues, though - it just means that a bit more work may be required to capture them.

Your best bet here is to keep PingPlotter running continuously, tracing to this game server (24/7, if possible). When you're playing your game, and run into problems, make sure and capture those instances in PingPlotter (per some of the instructions in my previous messages). This will allow you to correlate any patterns in your results to any times that you were experiencing issues - which will help in narrowing down what your issue may be. From there, you can start isolating and eliminating variables in your network to try and narrow things down a bit further.

If you have any other questions - please let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod