Topic Options
#3062 - 04/18/17 05:10 PM Pinging internal gateway at the other side of the VPN
Cura_Jo Offline

i have been troubleshooting some issue. from what i read this graph is normal and there isnt any issue because the next hop doesnt really show the same packet loss as the 2nd hop? is this right ? i have different VPNs and i see this for all of them. so i want to verify this.

Attachments
10.15.PNG (122 downloads)
10.11.PNG (82 downloads)

Edited by Cura_Jo (04/18/17 05:11 PM)

#3063 - 04/18/17 06:06 PM Re: Pinging internal gateway at the other side of the VPN [Re: Cura_Jo]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hi Cura,

Thanks for getting in touch.

From what we can see in your screenshots, it looks like you're mostly seeing this pattern of packet loss at hop #1 (which is likely your modem/router) - is that correct?

If so, this scenario isn't totally uncommon (I actually get similar results on my router at home when using PingPlotter). Some devices (such as consumer grade modems/routers) aren't fond of multiple timed out ICMP requests. Sometimes, when they receive a lot of them in a shorter period of time, they may start down prioritizing them, or may even stop responding to them all together - which can show up as high latency or packet loss in PingPlotter.

As long as the pattern of packet loss isn't carrying through to the hop right after (or through the whole route to the final destination) - then you don't usually need to worry about factoring it into your troubleshooting efforts. If you're interested, we cover this concept in more detail here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/6

And here:

http://www.pingman.com/kb/5

Hopefully this helps out. If you should find yourself with any questions, or needing any other assistance - please don't hesitate to get in touch!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#3064 - 04/18/17 09:33 PM Re: Pinging internal gateway at the other side of the VPN [Re: Gary]
Cura_Jo Offline

it is a firewall, Fortigate

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod