Topic Options
#3057 - 04/14/17 12:53 AM I don't know what I'm looking at, please help
matwin Offline

I've been getting extreme lag spikes every 10 seconds or so on what should be extremely quick internet, and I'm not sure why. From the Common Network Problems page on pingplotter's website, I'd assume that I have bad hardware. However, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at and I'd just like some clarification. I've attached two ping traces: google and the pingman website. Please help. Feel free to ask for any more information you'd need to help me with this issue.

Attachments
www.pingplotter.com.pp2 (480 downloads)
www.google.com.pp2 (457 downloads)

#3059 - 04/14/17 01:22 PM Re: I don't know what I'm looking at, please help [Re: matwin]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Matwin,

Thanks for getting in touch - sorry to hear about your lag issues.

We had a chance to dig into the results you provided (thanks for sending over those .pp2 files!), and from what we can see - you've got some patterns of latency starting at hop #1 that are carrying through your entire route to your final destination. This pretty strongly implies that the culprit in your issue could be somewhere between your machine (the one running PingPlotter), and hop #1 (likely your modem/router).

Your next goal here should be to eliminate any variables (that you have control over) to see if you can isolate what the culprit is. If you're on a wireless connection, moving to a wired connection is a *great* first step. You could also try running PingPlotter on a different network all together (if possible), to see if the issue may be related to your machine (if you see the same results on a different network - this would be a pretty strong indicator). Anytime you're eliminating a variable, make sure to keep PingPlotter running so you can see if you notice any changes in your results (as this can help you identify what may be causing your problem).

We've got a great guide that goes over using PingPlotter to troubleshoot network problems like this one, which may prove helpful to you here:

https://www.pingplotter.com/fix-your-network

If you have any questions, or if you should find yourself needing any further guidance - please let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod