Topic Options
#2856 - 05/30/16 09:39 AM Packet Loss Issues
ExWarrior Offline

Hello!
I'm Eduardo and I live in Portugal, I'm using an HP ENVY 16 with 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7-4700 MQ 2.40 GHZ and Windows 8.1.

My issue is as follows, I play League of Legends, and I'm having issues with sudden breaks during game, the speed of the connection is usually around 50ms which is great, but i get sudden "attempting to reconnect" issues resulting in the motion and actions of my champion being delayed by a few seconds (2-3 seconds), being useless due to the fast paced type of game LoL is... I searched for a solution to the problem and from that thought that packet loss could be an issue, so as advised by a forum thread on LoL I downloaded PingPlotter and found out the following results when connected to the LoL site https://youtu.be/cghfacwJroM.

What I see is that there is a lot of packet loss form my PC to the house's router, and that sometimes (as experienced in game in the same frequency) some packet loss reaches the LoL "server/IP" (I don't know the right names).

I live with 3/4 more people, but I've done the test during the day when no one is at home, and the packet loss bars remained, but still, it's a detail that maight help, besides I am 2/3 meters away from the router.

I intend to contact my ISP, but I'd like to hear some advice or explanation to what the issue might be, and if calling ISP is really the best solution, further more since I live in rented house, so it's somethig I would have to deal with my landlord.

Thank you very much for the help, time and patience to read my thread, have a nice day!

Attachments
euw.leagueoflegends.com.pp2 (543 downloads)
Description: There's also this data, I just recorded

Edited by ExWarrior (05/30/16 12:41 PM)

#2857 - 06/01/16 01:57 PM Re: Packet Loss Issues [Re: ExWarrior]
Phillip Offline
Pingman Staff

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hey Eduardo,

Thank you for posting on the forums - and thank you for trying out PingPlotter!

There are *definitely* some patterns (with latency spikes and packet loss) that we can see occurring at hop #1 that are carrying through to the final target (per the .pp2 file you attached to your post). This would make for a compelling case that the culprit causing this issue is *most likely* somewhere between your computer and hop #1.

The goal at this point should be to isolate and eliminate any variables (that you have control over) to see if you can definitively narrow down what the source of the problem is here. What seems to work the best (in our opinion) is to start at your computer and work out.

Start with eliminating the issue lying within your computer. Try tracing from another machine to see if you still see the same behavior as before. If you don't, you know the issue has to do something with your computer. If you did still see the same behavior, move on to the next thing in line (which would either be your ethernet cable or wireless signal).

Your connection *seems* like it is a wireless connection. Usually anything that is wired inside of a user's network is going to return a response of 1ms or less, but it looks like the average here (per the .pp2 files again) is closer to 4ms (which *may* be a bit of a red flag, depending on your setup...). Try replacing your ethernet cable with a new one you know works - and then start the trace again.

The last thing in line would be your modem and/or router. This is where you may need to get your ISP involved. If you have the ability, you can try replacing your modem and/or router and then start a trace once again to see if the behavior persists. If this didn't resolve the issue - move on to the next thing in line on your network.

If you are interested, we've got a guide that goes over a few different strategies on this front, which you can find here:

http://www.pingplotter.com/netnirvana/

Hopefully this helps give you a place to start. You can email us at any time at support@pingplotter.com if you have any other questions.

-Phillip

#2858 - 06/01/16 04:49 PM Re: Packet Loss Issues [Re: ExWarrior]
ExWarrior Offline

Thank you very much for the answer and the time invested in it.

I'll just present some further details, in case, there is something more you can help me with.

I was using Wi-fi when i did the test. The router at this house is from the ISP NOS Portugal (more info here:http://pplware.sapo.pt/truques-dicas/analise-my-hub-o-router-da-zon/3/ (in Portuguese)).

Also my wi-fi is on the 12th frequency/port, and from wifi analyser, the best one would be the 14th.

I did the test with a different internet on my girlfriends house and didnt find those red packet loss bars in 0,5s interval, so I'm guessing it's not from my pc (which is 1,5 years old).

Since it's wifi, could this be caused ONLY by the fact that 3 more people live here and use the WI-FI? I don't think so beause I've dont the test without anyone home and got the same red packet loss bars with 0,5 interval on the 1st hop, but my knowledge on all this is low.

Thank you very much for the help. Have a nice day

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod