Topic Options
#2772 - 11/21/15 05:28 PM Why is the second hop 0.0.0.0 ?
joel Offline

Hello,

When I ping any IP address using pingplotter, the first hop is always 192.168.0.1, which I understand is the local IP of my machine. Then the second hop is always 0.0.0.0 which I thought is also an alias for my machine.
My question is what is the purpose of this second hop? I'd just like to understand why a ping has to go twice through my machine.
The next hops are all normal, my ISPs routers, then the destination.

#2773 - 11/23/15 07:01 PM Re: Why is the second hop 0.0.0.0 ? [Re: joel]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Joel,

Thanks for writing in!

It's a bit tough to speculate on exactly what may be happening here without being able to view what you're seeing in PingPlotter. If possible, would you be able to send over a screenshot, or a support ticket directly from your PingPlotter instance (via "Help" -> "Email PingPlotter support") so that we can take a closer look at this?

That being said, we have seen/heard about some scenarios that *sound* fairly similar to what you're describing here. In those cases, a device at a certain point in a route (in your case, at hop #2) would be "spoofing" it's IP address to match something earlier in the route. It's tough to tell exactly why this happens, though - it could be a bug in that device, or whoever owns that device may have it set up to deliberately do this for some reason.

If you have any questions, or if there's anything else we can try to help out with - don't hesitate to let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2774 - 11/24/15 06:23 AM Re: Why is the second hop 0.0.0.0 ? [Re: Gary]
joel Offline

Hi Gary,

Thanks for answering. I'm a bit worried about my traffic being intercepted now. I didn't think about that.

Here's a screen shot but I'm not sure if it is helpful

Could it be somehow related to windows 10's telemetry service?
Or maybe my ISP installed a device to monitor my connection, because as you can see I'm having some packet loss (although today it isn't that bad).

#2775 - 11/24/15 04:05 PM Re: Why is the second hop 0.0.0.0 ? [Re: joel]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey Joel,

Thanks for the screenshot!

Based on the latency you're seeing at hop #2 (5ms - from what we can see in the screenshot), I think it's probably safe to assume that this is a device that's *outside* of your network (maybe it's the first ISP owned device in your route?).

We've had several Windows 10 setups here in our office - but haven't had any results like this. In this case, it may prove useful to reach out to your ISP and see if they're able to provide any additional information here.

If you have any other questions, or if there's anything else we can help out with - please don't hesitate to let us know!

Best wishes,

-Gary

#2776 - 11/25/15 04:48 AM Re: Why is the second hop 0.0.0.0 ? [Re: Gary]
joel Offline

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the support. I don't think my ISP will help me about that, it is quite hard to get an actual technician on the phone.
Hopefully once they resolve my packet loss trouble, I'll try to get more infos about this hop.

Thanks again,

Best regards

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod