Topic Options
#2451 - 01/21/14 11:02 AM Continuous Trace?
JayDee Offline

Hi all, new to the forum so hello from the UK!

I have a ping plotter Pro Licence and have it installed as a service on a server running win 2003.

I access it via the web UI and have a trace running to keep track of the stability of our main connection. I also have email alerts set up etc.... but periodically I find that the trace has stopped without warning and I'm no longer receiving alerts.

is there any way to insure that the trace continues to run without interruption?

I am also aware of the issue of having to login via the console of the server to access the service instance of PingPlotter in win 2003 so I don't believe it's related to this.

Thanks.

#2452 - 01/21/14 12:01 PM Re: Continuous Trace? [Re: JayDee]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hi JayDee,

Welcome to the forum!

This is a bit of a strange one; but it's not all-together unprecedented. We had another user with a situation similar to this some time back.

Two questions: first - is the web UI exposed to the internet? If so; is it secured? One thing you may want to try is to set up a username and password for the the web interface (as it's possible some sort of access here may be prompting the PingPotter service to stop).

If that doesn't seem to resolve things - could you send us a support ticket through PingPlotter itself ("Help" -> "Email PingPlotter Support")? This will help give us a better look at your configuration so that we can try and troubleshoot from there.

Let us know how this goes!

-Gary

#2453 - 01/22/14 04:44 AM Re: Continuous Trace? [Re: Gary]
JayDee Offline

Thanks Gary,

The UI is not exposed to the internet, it is secured with a UN an PW and no one else has access.

I did wonder if it was due to my blundering fingers that had accidentally clicked stop at some point but I left a trace running last night before I went home and it has stopped by it's self this morning.

I've sent a support ticket as requested smile

Cheers.

#2454 - 01/22/14 12:36 PM Re: Continuous Trace? [Re: JayDee]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Thanks for submitting the support ticket - we appreciate it!

After looking over your information - just a few questions, and a possible solution on this one.

From the look of the screenshot you sent over in your support ticket, it would appear as if the PingPlotter service is running, but no targets are loaded. Are you finding that your workspace isn't properly loaded when accessing the service in these cases? And is this possibly happening after the machine has been restarted?

What you may want to try is to make sure the service is configured to load your workspace upon startup (in the service instance -> "Edit" -> "Options" -> "Windows Service" -> "Startup Settings").

If no startup workspace is designated - after a system restart, the PingPlotter service will resume, but by default, will not have any targets loaded (which could be what you're experiencing in these scenarios). Adjusting this setting should hopefully get you to where you need to be.

Let us know how this goes! If you should have any other questions, or need additional help - you know where to find us!

-Gary

#2455 - 01/23/14 06:36 AM Re: Continuous Trace? [Re: Gary]
JayDee Offline

Hi Gary,

The work space loads fine as far as I'm aware. If I start a trace from the webUI when I click the task tray icon on the server (Console session) the targets are loaded and the settings etc are all loaded.

The trace just keeps stopping by it's self, again this morning when I came in the trace had stopped.

Also the server is never rebooted as it critical for other monitoring.

Here's a screenshot of the Options window you mentioned:

#2456 - 01/23/14 11:36 AM Re: Continuous Trace? [Re: JayDee]
Gary Offline
PingPlotter Staff

Hey JayDee,

We built this theory about the server being rebooted after looking over the information in the support ticket you submitted. We specifically noticed two things - the first being that there was no startup workspace designated; secondly - the system specs read that the machine you're using had only been up and running for a bit over 30 minutes:

> ----- System Details: ------
> date/time: 2014-01-22, 09:32:23, 717ms
> system up time: 30 minutes 33 seconds
> program up time: 30 minutes 10 seconds

Is it a possibility in this scenario that the machine went through a system update (and had to restart), or someone else has access to the server that may be rebooting it? Or was the support ticket sent in from a different machine?

The next time this happens - could you send us another support ticket (from the service instance) before you restart your traces? This may give us a bit more info into the situation which could prove helpful here.

Thank you!

-Gary

#2457 - 01/24/14 04:48 AM Re: Continuous Trace? [Re: Gary]
JayDee Offline

Thanks Garry! You've hit the nail on the head there.

My Colleague has configured a scheduled task to reboot the server every day at 9:00 Am due to another application which had started freezing..

I've configured a start up workspace and rebooted to test and all looks ok now.

Thanks for your help!

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod