Topic Options
#2376 - 09/28/12 10:23 AM PingPlotter Email Help?
Bod Offline

Hi,

I could do with some help regarding configuring the "Event Types".

When I receive an email with the below parameters, it displays the Hop, IP Address & DNSName. Sadly there is no column for Packet Loss, which is ideally what i need. Is it possible to have the Packet Loss displayed as well?

This is the below Alert config i am using:

Tracing to: ##TARGETNAME## ##TARGETIP##
Tracing from: ##CONFIG##
Monitoring: ##HOSTNAME## ##HOSTIP##

##HISTORYDATA##
##SCREENSHOT##

If there is anyone who could provide some assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Bod

Edited by Bod (09/28/12 10:25 AM)

#2377 - 09/28/12 01:34 PM Re: PingPlotter Email Help? [Re: Bod]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
There is no access to specific statistics in the email creation - you can show the raw data (##HISTORYDATA##), but not the accumulated totals.

Most alerts are set up for some period of latency or packet loss, so most alerts have known thresholds for packet loss / latency (alerting on packet loss walk-through here: http://www.nessoft.com/kb/63). Because the alert doesn't fire until you get to this specific known level, you can put your configuration as part of the subject of the email or the body - "$dest has > 60% loss for last 5 minutes!" as a subject line, for example.

Some people also do progressive alerts - where you set up one alert for 5 minutes (or however many samples you normally collect in 5 minutes), and another one for 10 minutes - that would notify you as the outage increases in length, and then couple that with a back-up event for one or all of them.

As a related note, there are some best practices for alerting here - you may have already seen them, but just wanted to share:

http://www.nessoft.com/kb/81

Please let me know where this leaves you.

- Pete

#2378 - 10/09/12 06:34 AM Re: PingPlotter Email Help? [Re: Pete Ness]
Bod Offline

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your response and settling my query.

I have found some usefull tips on KB81 to use as well.

Thanks

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod