Topic Options
#1940 - 09/10/07 10:44 AM What could be the problem?
moist Offline

Hi people.

First of all, thank you for your posts, so yesterday I found the way to fix the "hop 1" issue with WRT54GS routers (i upgraded the firmware).

Now my question. Yesterday I'had problems with my ISP. I presume they were re-configuring something in the main server, and I had awful ping timings. See the picture:

Well, today it seems to be fixed, because I get the 20ms I usually have with my cable internet connection, but I've realized that there's something that might not be good. See the next picture, please.

I mean the high ping readings that you can see in hops 1 and 2 (1 is, obviously, my router) marked with the red oval. As that high readings happens in regular times in both hops 1 and 2, I presume that it's not a problem from my system, since the moment that hop 2 belongs to a router from my ISP. And also, there's a coincidence with that high pings and packet-loss red mark.

What do you think? Should I call to my ISP or it can be a problem in my system?

Thanks a lot!

#1941 - 09/10/07 03:07 PM Re: What could be the problem? [Re: moist]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Because the spikes start at hop 1, you know the problem starts at hop 1, or maybe earlier (like in your computer). The first hop that shows problems is where you have to attribute the problem - not anything downstream. All traffic has to go through hop 1, so if the problem shows up at hop 1 you can't blame hop 2.

We have a wireless access point here that used to do something similar, and somewhere along the way (probably a bios update), it just stopped having the problem. Try removing components in your system to see if you can isolate the problem - if you're using a wireless router, try wiring it. If you have another computer, try that and see if you get the same results.

- Pete

#1942 - 09/11/07 03:55 PM Re: What could be the problem? [Re: Pete Ness]
moist Offline

Thanks Pete... i'll try what you said...

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod