Topic Options
#1875 - 06/29/07 06:01 AM PP Crashes on Terminal Services
Roflcopter Offline

Hi,

I've been using PP over the last couple of days. I notice that if I run it on one of our servers via a terminal services session and then disconnect, when I reconnect later on, the PP processes have crashed.

This doesn't happen when connected via the console (i.e. mstsc /console) so I have a workaround for now.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks,

Chris.

#1876 - 06/29/07 09:44 AM Re: PP Crashes on Terminal Services [Re: Roflcopter]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
The "crashing" of PingPlotter isn't a known problem. Running as a service does require the /console switch, so maybe you're doing that? See here for details: http://www.nessoft.com/kb/59

If PingPlotter is closing when running as an application, is it possible that you have your terminal services server set up to log off (and close the session) rather than leave it running? If the console session gets closed, then all running applications (for that session) get closed too.

You say "crash", so I'm guessing that you're seeing some message / something that shows a crash. If there's any kind of error message, we'd love to see details about that. The pp_error_details.txt file in the PingPlotter Pro directory should be capturing more details of any error message - you can send that to support@pingplotter.com and we can take a look.

- Pete

#1877 - 06/29/07 11:38 AM Re: PP Crashes on Terminal Services [Re: Pete Ness]
Roflcopter Offline

Hi Pete,

I'm not running it as a service - it's just Ping Plotter standard.

The TS session was set to auto logoff, but that is now disabled and the same thing happens.

When I reconnect to a TS session running PP that has been disconnected for a while, I immediately get dialog boxes on the screen (the standard 'this application encountered problems and needed to close' etc etc).

The error logged in the event log is:

Faulting application PingPlotter.exe, version 2.60.0.51, faulting module PingPlotter.exe, version 2.60.0.51, fault address 0x00004da3.

The fault address varies. The PP_Errors.log file contains the following:

28/06/2007 14:42:35 Error Auto-Saving data: Access violation at address 00404E34 in module 'PingPlotter.exe'. Read of address 656C755C
28/06/2007 15:06:30 Floating point division by zero
28/06/2007 15:28:51 Floating point division by zero

If I run the same PP sessions when connected to the console, I can disconnect for as long as I like and PP never crashes.

Thanks,

Chris.

#1878 - 06/29/07 02:13 PM Re: PP Crashes on Terminal Services [Re: Roflcopter]
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Is there a PingPlotter.rip file in your PingPlotter directory? If so, this will have a lot more information about the problem - email that to support@pingplotter.com.

If you have a license, you might also try the latest 3.15 standard beta (http://www.pingplotter.com/beta). Along with quite a few tweaks, it has an enhanced error system that might better catch the crash.

Thanks,
Pete

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod