Topic Options
#1263 - 09/29/04 04:52 PM Need help understanding graphs
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lately I have been having many problems with my VoIP service. After running PingPlotter, it is apparent that there is a problem with my ISP. However, before I call them to complain, I thought I would post my message here and try to get some assistance to better understand the results.

Now I feel really dumb, because I can not figure out how to post the image of the trace.

Thanks for any help,

Debbie

#1264 - 09/29/04 06:20 PM Re: Need help understanding graphs
Pete Ness Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Hi Debbie.

To attach a file to the forums here, turn on the checkmark for "I want to preview my post and/or attach a file ". Once you hit the continue button, you'll get an area where you can browse for and attach the image file (must be a png, jpg or gif to fit a decent size image within the 65K limits - png file works great because PingPlotter saves this image type natively). Alternately, if you email the picture to support@pingplotter.com, we'll attach it for you.

- Pete

#1265 - 09/29/04 10:27 PM Re: Need help understanding graphs
Pete Ness Offline

Interesting data, Debbie.

It looks like your cable ISP, Bend Cable, is having some problems with its connection with 360 networks (which owns the brands "Touch America" and "Group Telecom" - both represented in your traceroute).

At some point during collecrtion session, your ISP stopped routing data through Verio, and started routing through 360 networks - and that's when your problems started in the data you sent us.

I've attached a couple of pictures - one when your connection was OK, one when it wasn't. This is absolutely something you need to talk to Bend Cable about - they're in control here.

Here's the graph of the data you sent us, but the upper graph is zoomed in on just the good part of the graph.

Attachments
1276-www.yahoo.com-verio.png

#1266 - 09/29/04 10:27 PM Re: Need help understanding graphs [Re: Pete Ness]
Pete Ness Offline

And here's the problem time. Notice the big jump in latency and packet loss at hop 5 - the connection between Bend Cable and TAmerica.net (360 networks). Call your cable company - or email them - and point them at this post. When your data is using Verio, the connection is OK (slight packet loss, good latency). When your data is going through TAmerica, you get a *LOT* higher latency and significant packet loss. They should be able to talk about how they're working to solve this problem.

Attachments
1277-www.yahoo.com-tamerica.png

Search

Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod